Powered by Blogger.

Rest In Peace, Lolo Nonoy

17 November 2011

Lolo Nonoy passed away. He died of a heart attack. 

Am I sad? No, I guess not. As far as I'm concerned, I do not have a grandfather to begin with. Lolo Lino, my mother's dad, passed away before I was born. Lolo Nonoy and I never had a connection we could hang on to. I was his grandson by name only; I could not recall any memories of so-called "bonding time" between he and I.

For me, Lolo Nonoy was the absentee grandfather. He was the perennial man seated on the corner, staring at the world with bored eyes. It didn't help that much of what was said about him wasn't exactly in praise of his legacy. In fact, he had none to speak of, except of course of how much he has affected his children's lives, including my father's.

So what do I feel? Is this gratitude, perhaps? Gratitude that a life has ended, finally?

I owe this feeling to what one of Lola's friends said,"Maayo pa si Nonoy. Makapahulay na."

And I think that pretty much sums up what I should be feeling anyway. It's gratitude, gratitude for a long life lived. Gratitude for someone who is now resting eternally.

So Lolo Nonoy, do rest in peace. You may not have deserved it but you did earn it. Thank you.


No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy