Powered by Blogger.

Writing Stuff

18 August 2010

"...to write for those who cannot write"

Or something like that. I'm just trying to recall what I said for a video presented during a Humanities Division Orientation Day. The question was why I decided to become an English major and the first thing that went into my mind was to be the voice for those who cannot speak for themselves.

Right now, it does sound a bit corny and a bit idealistic too. But I've certainly acknowledged that I have this gift and, for every gift, every talent, something is expected in return.

Maybe later on, I'll be speaking and writing for other people. However, for the meantime, all I can do is write for myself using this blog as my medium.

As the old saying goes, "History is just what someone else has written down." In a limited sense, I am making history, a history replete with my personal opinions and experiences. A lot of people say the world is now too noisy but I assert instead that the world is too full of silences. Generally, people, particularly Filipinos, don't write down their experiences.

This can be attributed to a culture which disdains writing. But such a culture begs a change in heart. If we are to grow as a nation, there should be an outpouring of one's selves in writing. Only then can the next generation judge us fairly by the history we've left behind.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy